Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Failed at the first hurdle!

I was so excited when I saw this class posted! I have tried one or to of Tonya's ideas before, and welcomed the idea of creating a personal Christmas hanging. I thought deeply about what Christmas means to me.

It means - family getting together

- meeting up with friends

- parties

- presents and all the other stuff of course

- lots of cooking (and eating)

- lots of drinking

- relaxing and catching up with people.

I'm not religious, but I love this time of goodwill and love.

My first thoughts were to make a merry Christmas quilt with different drinks on it, but decided to focus on the togetherness side of Christmas. So far, so good.

However, I forgot that the quilt needs to be improvisational, and made some lovely houses - I did draw them myself on an 8 inch piece of paper, but they look rather traditional! I wanted the quirkiness to come from the different people at the windows and other elements I plan to add later. (Honest!)

Here are the houses with different people (and creatures) at the windows and doors, waiting for their chimney pots. I want to add some snow in front of the houses to make an album quilt, and get all the visitors to our house over the Christmas period to sign their names. I'm also planning to do some words. 'Goodwill to all men' is the current favourite.

Now I'm off to cook the tea and think about chimneys.

4 comments:

Kim said...

This is a wonderful quilt that you are making...your holiday celebration thoughts are right in line with mine. I'll check out this winter quilt challenge that you are doing, but I'm not sure my brain has anymore room to dream up an original at this point! LOL, I'm on over-load~

Diane said...

This is so cute. I wouldn't change the houses a bit. Love the Snoopy. What a great idea to have your visitors sign the quilt!

Unknown said...

I call firstsies to live in Snoopy's house. :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

at least you drafted the houses yourself! love the signatures idea.