Friday, December 14, 2007

Gillian - not so crazy stockings

I decided to do lots of close quilting to 'smooth' out the jagged effect of the crazy piecing. And I am really pleased with the way it is turning out.


The variegated green perle thread gives lovely celestial associations for me. A swirling cosmos. Or a swirling snowstorm. I can look at it now and simply not see the pieced angles in the green ground. How clever we are to see only what we want to see. A kind of optical illusion.

Perhaps crazy patchwork lovers would see the pieced background and not the swirling stitches. We see the world as we want to see it, in so many ways.

14 comments:

antique quilter said...

the quilting is great, wow really adds to the quilt.
fun quilt
Kathie

Carol E. said...

I love the swirly quilting!

Emily Cole said...

What a wonderful way to "fix" your problem - you're so smart! It looks really great, I love the swirly quilting. Em

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh wow, that's incredible quilting. I love the pattern, I love your stitches, I love the way it integrates the quilt. fabulous. this is a fantastic quilt.

jude said...

the stitching has made all the difference.

Rose Marie said...

Incredible quilting .... love it! You know, it's not too late to add the JOY word if you want to. Use the 'quilt as you go' method.

Kristin Shields said...

I love, love, love the quilting! What a way to make the eye see things differently. I can't wait to see it finished.

QuiltingFitzy said...

It's stitchin' fantastic!!!

Tracey in CT said...

Love it!! I'm so amazed by your quilting!

Gillian said...

Wow, thanks for your enthusiasm, everyone.

Yes, I think the word, 'joy' may yet appear on this little quilt.

søren said...

that's *gorgeous* and it's giving me more ideas for when I actually get a chance to start on mine! (and it's reminding me of Van Gogh paintings)

jmb_craftypickle said...

love the swirls...what am I going to do after this class is done...it has been SO inspirational!
Thanks

jmb_craftypickle said...

love the swirls...what am I going to do after this class is done...it has been SO inspirational!
Thanks

McIrish Annie said...

your quilt looks great and the swirls are just what was needed!