Monday, January 7, 2008

Fitzy - "Are We There Yet?"

I embroidered, layered, quilted and bound the "Christmas" sign yesterday. That's alot for me to get done in one day! I also cooked 2 meals (which is totally uncharacteristic) so I declare it a GREAT day.

The next sign is to be representative of the state of California. I'll be darned if I can find any city in California that represents Christmas!! The closest is "Angels Camp" and that just doesn't work for dh & I. I may resort to making a city name up, hope the quilt police don't come looking! Let me know if you have any secrets in your pocket, any cities YOU can think of that I may have overlooked in CA? Or how about suggestions for a city name to be "created"?

My background will be dark blue, all pieced together willy-nillie, and the snow at the bottom of the pole will be done the same way. I have in mind a green and white barber pole for the signs to hang on, and a golden ball at the top. I haven't decided if the pole will be pieced, will depend on what I can find for fabric (I'd really rather NOT piece it, lol.) I have some nice folk wooden buttons for the "nails" to hold the signs onto the post.

It's all playing nicely in my mind, just got keep going, stitch-by-stitch!

8 comments:

jenclair said...

This is such a clever idea!

Rose Marie said...

What a great idea for your signpost! Have fun creating your imaginative place in CA.

Tonya Ricucci said...

So much fun, and wheee so productive. I love this quilt. I played around a bit and found both a Snow Valley and Snow Canyon in CA. Kinda dull. Hollywood? holly is christmasy. Also found a Rudolph WI. fun thing to try is searching in the U.S. Gazeteer:

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer

McIrish Annie said...

love the barber pole idea. no ideas about CA. it's too damn sunny there to evoke Christmasy names!

jmb_craftypickle said...

Love the signs!

Carol E. said...

Don't know about CA but there is North Pole, Alaska.

doni said...

If you consider "widening" your holiday - there's always "Valentine NE"!

Clever Idea!

Jeanne said...

Great idea. They look terrific.